Friday, February 17, 2012

Wilton's Cake Decorating Basics - Class 2

The second class proved to be as interesting as it was time consuming and nerve racking ( at least for me). I am a total novice when it comes to baking, so when the instructor said we had to bake a cake and bring it to class I had my fingers crossed. Let's just say that we've had some interesting experiments at home. I didn't risk baking a cake from scratch and I used the yellow cake mix from Duncan Hines. I followed the instructions carefully and the cake turned out quite well surprisingly. In class we actually practiced leveling, torting, filling and icing the cake which took up quite a bit of time. Then we practiced pressure control for icing and how to pipe a curving line, tight zigzag as well as dimensional decorating. Finally, we colored our icing which we had made at home and transferred the cupcake pattern to the cake with piping gel. As we ran out of time, I came home and finished the rest of the cake decorating. My daughter chose the colors to decorate the cake. I would probably keep it simpler if I had to do it over but I hope it's not too bad for an amateur's first attempt.
Cupcake Decoration with a cherry on top and a heart
My sis said this looks like a Chef's Hat...I sincerely hope not! :-)


Cutting the cake for my son V's 6 month Bday

No comments:

Post a Comment